Thursday 26 June 2014

Anaesthetist - Enter Shikari

Today is a sad day for me. Tonight, Enter Shikari, my favourite band, will play their first UK show in 8 months at the Hatfield Forum. Why am I not there? Well, being a student has finally got to me and prevented me from doing the thing I love most, see bands live. At this point I would also like to mention I cannot go to the Blink 182 Brixton shows either, for the same reason. So as I sit here, with a heavy heart about the fact I can no longer afford to go to every gig I want to, I'm watching Enter Shikari's rehearsal video for brand new song 'Anaesthetist.' Sprung upon fans this morning, the band released the rehearsal video ahead of tonight's sold out gig as a teaser for those going and a taster for those who are missing out. I don't know whether to find this a comfort or not as come 8pm my jealousy filled mind will do all it can to not think about the reasons why I'm not barrier screaming back at Rou Reynolds.

'Anaesthetist' is classic Enter Shikari and is an exciting example of what the boys have been working on whilst away from the live circuit. The song doesn't really nod to their previous 3 albums, it's yet another evolution for Shikari, but it is still unmistakably them. Always unique, standing out as fore-runners in the genre experimenting game, the St Albans four piece have again created a crowd pleasing and radio offending track which needs to have a studio version released sooner rather than later! It is 2 minutes 46 seconds of dark and bassy sounds which make as much of an impact as the powerful screams of Reynolds does. The song also sees the return of a Chris Batten vocal, something which the fans always love. What is clear from the video is that it is going to be a great live song; I can imagine that tonight it will get an overwhelming reception and that fans will be shouting the lyrics back as if they'd had the song on repeat for weeks. If this is what we can expect from #ShikariAlbum4 then I am very very excited and I will wait in anticipation to see them at Reading at the end of August.

If you're not in Hatfield tonight you can catch Enter Shikari at Reading and Leeds festival at the end of August.



No comments:

Post a Comment