Wednesday 23 April 2014

Reading Festival line up



To be fair, I've given the Reading line up a lot of stick since the first batch of artists were announced. Having been to the festival for the past two years, and prior to that wanting to go every year since I was about 13, I always have high expectations for the line up announcements. I've seen some amazing bands at Reading and I can honestly say that the two weekends I have been there have been some of the best times I've ever had. So this years line up pissed me off.

Firstly, this co-headlining business is a bit of a joke. I don't really know why it's been done. I mean I've heard nothing but good things about Paramore and Queens of the Stone Age but I just don't see how they're going to live up to this hype that has been created. Secondly, and for the most controversial opinion you'll read here, why oh why must Arctic Monkeys headline!? I'm not a fan of Arctic Monkeys. I think they're overrated and I think AM is just a repetitive bore. Of course, I'll always sing-a-long to their classic songs because those were the days when they were genuinely fresh and produced good records (I'm aware I sound like a hypocrite now) but today I feel everyone is all over them and find they're just completely over-hyped. They're like that kid at school who is always winning merits and showing off: they're just annoying and you end up disliking them without really knowing them. No doubt though that they will put on a great live show and critics will be all over them. I, however, will do everything I can to avoid them. The third and final headliner, Blink 182, are the reason I bought my ticket. Having seen Blink 182 before I am so buzzing to see them close Reading this year. The charm that comes from all three of them along with all their classic songs and perfect performance is definitely going to be the highlight of Reading this year.

So other than the headliners, what else is there to discuss? Well let's begin with Saturday. Oh Saturday. What a shame for main stage. I can just see it now, all the 15 year old kids who act like they live and breathe music when actually they've just come to Reading because it's the cool place to go to get hammered and take some MDMA with they're friends and "mosh" to that one Jake Bugg tune they know. Main stage is just an endless drone of 'indie' bands that will probably all play in the same way and have the same message throughout. Other than Gnarwolves and Pulled Apart By Horses, who I'm glad are getting a big break for once, I think I'll be steering clear of main stage. My Saturday will be a mix of NME and The Pit. I have so much excitement about seeing Die Antwoord, they are such an odd choice for the festival at all, let alone being that high up on the NME stage but they will be so good to watch. I'm also super excited to see Architects live, followed by Of Mice & Men again. The fact that they're my alternative to Arctic Monkeys made my day today.

Monday is another day where I'm not particularly sure what to do with myself. It will most definitely be the day I wonder around and discover new music but I have to say that I am so happy Enter Shikari are back especially for this. Bias opinion as Enter Shikari are my favourite band, and I've seen them live about 5 times now, but these are a band you do not want to miss. They are passionate, loud, and unmissable. Just amazing. Ahhhh, so excited! I am also mega buzzing for Sunday Main stage. Like seriously, The Story So Far, Papa Roach, A Day To Remember and You Me At Six, leading up to Blink 182, it's going to be so good. And to be fair, despite my dislike for Macklemore and Ryan and Lewis, they will get the crowd going. Other bands to note for the weekend who I would recommend you don't miss are Hacktivist, Basement, Neck Deep, Don Broco and letlive. Especially letlive. as they are a band that you will find no comparison for and will have the time of your life watching.

I'll stop banging on now before I get carried away talking about everyone I want to see (and that's quite a lot of people). What I will say is right now, I cannot wait for Reading to come around. The latest announcement has completely changed my mind on what I thought was a bleak outlook for the festival. Unlike other years, my excitement is not really for the big Main stage names but instead for the plethora of more obscure artists who will be found in the tents of the festival. Hurry up August, I need to be at Reading now.

No comments:

Post a Comment