Saturday 17 May 2014

1 week, 2 videos

Of Mice & Men-Would You Still Be There?

Being one of my favourite songs from Of Mice & Men's third studio album 'Restoring Force', I was pretty excited about the release of single 'Would You Still Be There?' For the past week the band have been posting a countdown of stills on their social media pages from the video and yesterday the video was finally released. I sat down to watch it and I hate to say it but I was kind of disappointed. I don't really understand the whole gas mask scenario; there's people wearing them then people not, like, is this essential to the plot of the video? Idk, what is the plot of the video? And then there's the random ballerina who does dance beautifully among some lovely eerie lighting but I don't understand that bit of the video either. Not only that but even the random shots of the band lack something. Maybe I'm missing the point of the video or maybe I'm being thick and there's nothing to get but I know is not what I was expected or what I was wanting. On the plus side though there are some really beautiful shots in a field with the sunset and the boy who is part of the couple scenes is cute. It's still an awesome song though. Sorry boys but I only feel this video is worthy of half marks!



Arcade Fire-We Exist

Now I'm not an Arcade Fire fan. I can't say I've ever really been drawn to listen to their stuff and if I'm honest I couldn't name you a song they've done but after seeing the name Andrew Garfield related to their newest single 'We Exist' I couldn't help but check this video out. A massive fan of the Spiderman films as well as the awkwardly cute actor that he is, seeing this man's name followed by the words "dresses as a women" had me majorly intrigued. Within the first minute of the video Garfield is stood in front of a mirror in some denim hotpants putting a bra on and trying on different shirts, struggling with who he is. He goes on to put on make up and his blonde wig and takes a deep breath before leaving his house. He, who should now probably be referred to as she, heads to the bar and ends up getting pushed around by 4 butch guys and ends up on the floor, only to suddenly be in front of 4 very different guys. All in crop-tied checkered shirts and denim hotpants, the quartet dance, rather well I must say, in some sort of ritual which Garfield then gets up and copies. Oh, there's also his solo bit where he does some contemporary jumping with a look of need and anguish on his face. It's rather good, I was surprised the web-slinging hero had such good moves. By the end of the video to quartet have lead Garlfield down a corridor guided by a colourful light where he ends up on stage at a festival size concert where he can finally be who he is; a woman. Once getting over the shock of seeing one of my favourite actors playing such a role, I realised how much I liked the video. The song is average in sound, it could probably grow on me but the video has a message of acceptance and unity and equality and this is something I believe in above most things. It tells people that you should be who you are and stop hiding. there is a place of acceptance, it does exist and when you get there you can exist the same way everyone else does. I think Andrew Garfield was a good choice for this video, continuing to portray a kind of loser-come-hero character, and I think Arcade fire are putting out a strong message with 'We Exist.' I like it a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment