Monday 19 May 2014

Band of the Week: Issues

Issues seem to be all anyone is talking about right now. After spending the past month on the front cover of Rocksound, their career has exploded. Formed in 2012 and signed to Rise Records it seems that Issues have hit the jackpot with how quickly they've become loved and accredited. I initially heard of Issues when I saw them support Of Mice & Men last month in April. At the time, I wasn't a massive fan. I was a bit confused by what they were. Their music is an infusion of singing, screaming, electro beats and metal, an odd combination but one which is actually enjoyable once you get used to it. Wikipedia describes them as metalcore so if you like that sort of stuff you'll probably like this. If not then check them out anyway, you might surprise yourself, I did. On record they are something special and something unique. And lead vocalist Michael Bohn is a cutie. Bohn provides lead whilst Tyler Carter provides "clean vocals" which do compliment each other rather well. Ty Acord infuses the more alternative spin to Issues metalcore vibe with synths and samples but as Carter does Bohn, Ty compliments AJ Rebello (lead guitar), brother Sky Acord (bass guitar) and drummer Josh Manuel too.

Before releasing their self-titled debut album earlier this year, EP Black Diamonds was floating about. A compilation of six tracks the EP was short and sweet with stand out tracks being 'Princeton Ave' and 'Love Sex Riot' (feat. Fronz). Another track which I highly recommend is 'Hooligans'. Not on any albums, this single is probably their most famous song and you can see why. It should be on the new album. As much as I love Issues, I am still not 100% sure how I feel about their newest album. There's a few tracks which I love such as 'Stringray Affliction' and 'The Settlement' but some tracks are still growing on me. However, I always think with bands as unique as Issues, perseverance is key. You don't want to miss out, they're destined for big things.


No comments:

Post a Comment