Friday 15 August 2014

Enter Shikari: an introduction

Seeing as there is little for me talk to you guys about this week (my research has been a little low due to work experience) I thought I'd give you a few sort of, introductory, posts to some of my favourite bands so you can get to know my musical background more!

In 2003, four lads from St Albans came together with the interest of performing as many genres
in one go as possible. Since then the band have risen to fame as one of the most hard-working hardcore bands in the business. Their music isn't just noise though, it has soul and it has purpose, with many people dubbing them 'political'. Yes, Shikari does have a political edge; they are concerned about the world and peace and equality but they are also about having fun. The music which accompanies their lyrics is full of life and energy and this, as well as the fun, translates live. They are also a band that is always evolving. From their early EPs through to latest album 'A Flash Flood Of Colour', and even to their latest track 'Anaesthetist', the boys have matured and developed their sound, "smashing boundaries" both literally and metaphorically. There is no definitive way to describe the Shikari sound. It is post-hardcore but it is also metalcore. It has elements of dubstep and it has elements of drum and bass. It is noise but it is beautifully created noise that makes perfect sense in the world today.

So who are Enter Shikari? Rou Reynolds takes lead vocals and does the programming for the bands albums and shows. He also has a jaw-achingly funny Vine account which you should check out even if you don't like the music! Chris-Batty C-Batten plays bass whilst Rory Clewlow takes on guitar and both ocassionally provide vocals. Finally is Rob Rolfe, or Lord Rolfe (he bought himself a title for the giggles), provides drums and also the odd vocal. They're all a bit mental and are often found on stage on top of amps, each other and the crowd but they are all excellent at what they do. They're also nice guys who like a good laugh! Although at the core they are discussing serious issues, they don't take themselves too seriously and that it was gives them the glowing reputation they have.

My experiences of Enter Shikari have always been positive. Since I bought their first album, 'Take To The Skies' when I was just 14 years old, I have seen the boys live 5 times, 6 after seeing them make their Reading Festival return next weekend, and it is at those gigs I have had some of the most fun I've ever had. I have been seated, stood at the back, by the mosh pit, on the barrier and queued outside venues for hours to have the Shikari experience and it has always been worthwhile (apart from the last time I saw them where a panic attack during the first song meant I had to watch the show from a balcony. I know right, I'm so cool...) I've seen them break crowdsurfing records and encourage human pyramids and I've had a bottle of their signature beer. I've also met them which was an amazing thing to have been able to do. I queued in the rain at the Reading Festival 2012 signing tent to see them and when I did they were everything I had hoped. I had made a sign for them to sign which had a sexual pun on it (cringe) but they all found it funny and it certainly made the situation memorable. There was an 8 year old kid with his dad behind me in the queue waiting to meet them too and I'll never forget that kids face light up when he saw how close he was to them. What a dude. It just goes to show that Shikari are for everyone, not matter how young or old.

Listen to: Zzzonked, Arguing With Thermometers, Constellations, Radiate

   



No comments:

Post a Comment