Tuesday 29 July 2014

'Further Sky' by Basement

'Further Sky' is the first release from a reformed Basement and it's been a long wait for some. 2 years after releasing the beautiful 'colourmeinkindness' and announcing an indefinite hiatus, the Ipswich 5 piece are back with a gloomfully grungey three track EP. Although it only lasts 10 minutes, it is an illustration of the evolution of one of the most loved bands to emerge in the scene in a long time. Many a teenager seems to relate with the words which emerge from Andrew Fisher's heavy heart and I'm sure they will continue to when listening to 'Further Sky.' Although it has the same echoes of sadness as their previous material, there is a much more upbeat feel to the songs, particularly with 'Summer's Colour'. 'Jet' is a catchy number too but for me 'Animal Nitrate' is the song I'll have on repeat. As far as covers go, this is one of my favourites. Originally by Suede, the Basement revamp reminds me of being a 15 year old kid who liked Good Charlotte and Nirvana and Green Day and just wanted something a little bit rock 'n' roll to listen to. It actually makes me happy. I can see all three songs being at home on the live circuit too and whilst I don't think it is their best material, I do think it will see the band to another full length album with a more grown up sound.

'Further Sky' is available to buy as of today.


No comments:

Post a Comment