Friday 25 July 2014

The underrated and overrated: Reading and Leeds 2014

So, as you are all aware I am off to the greatest festival on earth next month, Reading. Today marks exactly 4 weeks until the music commences at Richfield Avenue in Reading and Bramham Park in Leeds so I thought what better way to get more hyped (if that's possible) for that weekend than to let you lovely people know who I will definitely be seeing (these were very difficult to whittle down as there are so many awesome bands I'll definitely be seeing) and who I'll be avoiding over the weekend!

The underrated and must sees
Enter Shikari
R: Main Stage-Friday. L: Main Stage-Saturday.
As a long time Lion, Enter Shikari are a band I refuse to miss when I am in a vicinity where they are playing live. With this being their second of only two UK shows this year they are bound to give it their all with a reckless and powerful performance. Oh, and expect another attempt at breaking the crowdsurfing world record.

Blink 182 
R: Main Stage-Sunday. L: Main Stage-Friday
Making their long awaited return, pop punk royalty Blink 182 will headline the festival this year and I'm pretty sure it's going to be epic. They'll tell rude jokes, "Travis I'm pregnant" signs will be in abundance and a crowd of all ages will be jumping like nutters to classic after classic. There's also likely to be a drum solo and some new material so you definitely won't want to miss them.

Royal Blood 
R: NME/Radio 1-Saturday. L: NME/Radio 1-Sunday
Dubbed one of the most exciting bands to emerge this year, Royal Blood are set to gain new fans and make their current fans love them even more as they hit the festival this year. A debut album will have emerged around this time as well so it's likely the two piece will be rocking out with extra passion and energy.

Issues 
R: The Pit-Saturday. L: The Pit-Sunday
Issues are unique. They're metal, they're hip hop, they use electronics, they scream, they sing, they're definitely a fusion of all that is good in music. Pretty new to the UK scene, the band will be having a hell of a lot of fun at The Pit this year and they're certain to get the crowd riled for alternative/metal favourites Architects and Of Mice & Men.

letlive.
R: Lock Up-Sunday. L: Lock Up-Friday
There is no way I or anyone else can afford to miss letlive. A band that are worth the ticket price alone, letlive. will give you a show. Known for their frontman Jason Butler going crazy at gigs, you'll probably enter The Pit to find him in the crowd, on the crowd, above the crowd, pretty much anywhere other than in front of them. Despite this they still sound awesome and will definitely give something special for their UK fans.


Die Antwoord 
R: NME/Radio 1-Saturday. L: NME/Radio 1-Sunday
Possibly one of the weirdest acts to grace the NME/Radio 1 stage ever, Die Antwoord are South Africa's finest export for the festival season. They'll definitely be creepy and if I'm honest, I couldn't predict if they'll be good or bad but for that reason alone they're definitely ones not to miss.







The overrated and ones to avoid
Arctic Monkeys 
R: Main Stage-Saturday. L: Main Stage-Sunday
So I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but there is no way on earth that I will be stood watching Arctic Monkeys. Yes, they are widely adored by indie kids everywhere and yes 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' is a classic but all in all these Northern boys are just a bit overrated. I am bias because I think AM is 12 identical tracks and I prefer the heavier of sounds but really, there is so much better to be seen over the weekend.

Sleeping With Sirens 
R: Main Stage-Sunday. L: Main Stage-Friday
American sweethearts and baby-faced crew, Sleeping With Sirens are another band which are widely adored but I've just never been able to affiliate myself with them. I think they're overrated and I think there's high chances of disappointment of them as a main stage act. However, if I do end up watching them I could be surprised. Who knows, I'm just uncertain about them right now.

Disclosure 
R: NME/Radio 1-Sunday. L: NME/Radio 1-Friday
Another band which I will get a lot of hate for calling overrated are Disclosure. When they first emerged on the scene I actually quite liked them but now they are all I hear and I have come to find them unbearable. From what I hear, they put on a great show but how good can a show of lights and house beats really be?

Meridian Dan 
R: Radio 1Xtra-Saturday. L: Radio 1Xtra-Sunday
"See man driving a German whip..." erm, I think that is enough to explain why Meridian Dan should be avoided at all costs.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis 
R: Main Stage-Sunday. L: Main Stage-Friday
Mainstream boys Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are oddly placed at this years festival. I do think they have the ability to hold a main stage crowd but who put them among the rock/alternative/pop punk bands!? It all seems very odd to me and with the likelihood that letlive. and Mongol Horde will be on at the same time as them, I think you'll find better shows elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment